Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day

Mitchell had the day off yesterday so we made some fun plans for the long weekend. Saturday we met up with our friends Jordan and Jessica who just moved to Madison. We headed over to the World's Largest Bratfest! (pronounced braht) It was so fun! We enjoyed the sunshine, good friends, good food and activities. Brats are a really iconic food around here and so good. Imagine a hot dog on steroids- way way better.

A whole tent dedicated to the condiments.

Audrey really enjoyed the corn off the cob. She was eating it as fast as I could bite it off the cob. Mmmm.

A fun little play area they had set up.

It has been FOREVER since I've been on a carnival ride! I am an adrenaline junkie so I didn't let this opportunity pass me up. The rides were $5 each so I chose the most intense and scariest one. It was definitely intense but so fun! I was shaking as I walked off!

This was before they suspended me upside-down repeatedly. :)

Audrey will have to wait until she's taller to join her momma on the scary rides!

Yesterday we decided to check out the Cave of the Mounds which is about 30 minutes away. It is a REALLY old (we're talking millions of years) cave that was discovered by accident in 1939. The area was being mined for iron and after a routine dynamite blast the miners found the large cavity with it's intricate formations inside. We learned that stalactites and stalagmites 'grow' one cubic inch every 100 years. This particular cave is known for it's variety of colors inside the cave. We enjoyed the tour and even Audrey was really good considering that she couldn't get down and walk at all. We weren't allowed to touch anything inside the cave because the natural oils from our skin would prevent the minerals from continuing to form deposits.

Here is a view of some of the beautiful stalactites.

Audrey even got to go on an archeological dig afterward!

After the cave tour we enjoyed the lovely park and had a picnic lunch. It was a really fun day!

5 comments:

Chris and Christina said...

Was that ride the Kamikaze? It's one of my favorites! Good choice :) What a fun weekend!

Claire Roach said...

Looks like a fun Memorial Day! Hey, I hope you guys do come visit us in Maryland sometime.

The Bergant Family said...

That sounds like a fun weekend! And you had much better weather there too! The Brats look yummy. Leon would have loved that!

Elli Morley said...

Wow what a fun Memorial day!

Michelle said...

I LOVE your blog! You have been posting a lot. I am an adrenaline junky too! I LOVE rides. I'm sad we didn't go with you guys, because I would totally have ridden that with you!