Thursday, June 18, 2009

Still working on it...

So I am still working on this wall hanging for Lynn and she is still working on starting the labor process. I think I got the better deal of the two! Here are the finished tiles and I layed them out in my prefered configuration.

This configuration happens to be 12"x36." When I looked online to price out a stretched canvas of those dimensions places were charging $35 dollars! Wow! I thought I could do better and it turns out I could. I went to Big Lots and lo and behold...what did I find!?!? This beauty...

So, I realize it's not the most attractive piece of art out there but it doesn't matter a bit because it is stretched canvas exactly 12"x36" and it was a bargain of only $10! Then after a trip to the art store to get the matte medium (with a 40% off coupon thank you very much) I am home again with this project. This is how it looks so far. I am going on faith that the matte medium really does dry clear! **crossing my fingers!**


3 comments:

Linda said...

Wow! I am totally impressed! I love the tutu (sp?) and ballerina slippers! The whole thing is so creative! Maybe you said this before, but what did you make the tiles out of? I might steal this idea...

Harris Family said...

Please steal it! Mitchell's aunt Jennifer taught me how to do it. The tiles are craft paper and the cut outs are paint chips from Home Depot! I just used glue stick to attach them to the paper tiles and I'm covering the whole thing with something called matte medium or Mod Podge. (basically it is Elmer's Glue) We made one for a little boy last weekend with things from a big city, it turned out adorable!!

Paula said...

So creative Melanie. Very impressive.