Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Thankful

It is officially November! I can't believe how fast the year has gone by! Later this month we will celebrate Thanksgiving and I am reminded of President Thomas S. Monson's talk from the Sunday morning session of General Conference in October. He talked about the importance and blessings of gratitude. I have come to know that President Monson is God's prophet on the Earth today. I know that He is inspired by the Lord in all that he does to minister to all of Heavenly Father's children and to guide and direct the Church of Jesus Christ. I love him and will endeavor to show more gratitude, not only in November but all throughout the year. I would like to share some highlights from his conference talk and part of my own gratitude list.

In the Book of Mormon we are told to “live in thanksgiving daily, for the many mercies and blessings which [God] doth bestow upon you.”7

Regardless of our circumstances, each of us has much for which to be grateful if we will but pause and contemplate our blessings.

This is a wonderful time to be on earth. While there is much that is wrong in the world today, there are many things that are right and good. There are marriages that make it, parents who love their children and sacrifice for them, friends who care about us and help us, teachers who teach. Our lives are blessed in countless ways.

We can lift ourselves and others as well when we refuse to remain in the realm of negative thought and cultivate within our hearts an attitude of gratitude. If ingratitude be numbered among the serious sins, then gratitude takes its place among the noblest of virtues. Someone has said that “gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others.”8

Some things I am grateful for:

1. A kind, positive and supportive husband who sacrifices many of his own desires to provide for our family and to make me happy.

2. A beautiful and healthy daughter. She brings me such joy!

3. The sunshine!

4. That there is no snow on the ground...yet. :)

5. That I was born in and live in a nation that was founded to protect religious freedom. And that I may worship God as I see fit both in my home and in public.

6. For great friends! Some are next door and some are thousands of miles away but all are wonderful!

7. For technology that allows me to keep in touch with family and friends who fall in to the "thousands of miles away" category.

8. For daily chats with my mom about thoughts, feelings, important things and nonsense and everything in between. I love you Mom!

9. For the beauty of the Earth.

10. That I get to be home with Audrey every day.

11. For my talents.

12. For veterans of war and their brave and valiant service to our country.

13. For my education.

14. That I have had the opportunity to travel to many places in the world.

15. For the selfless sacrifice of my Savior Jesus Christ.

There are so many things for which to be grateful! This is just a start. I encourage you to make your own gratitude list. It is impossible to not feel happier when you 'count your many blessings.'

3 comments:

Laura said...

I made one today at work while I was in my training class :) Kept me awake and made me feel better too!

Bev Tracy said...

I am doing a gratitude journal with my Seminary class. We are listing 5 things each day that we are grateful for.

I, too, loved that talk.

I, too, am grateful for our daily chats. :o)

The Bergant Family said...

This was a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing that. Your Gratitude List was wonderful.